[Gloucs] Sun SCSI Disk stuff

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Tue Jun 8 22:52:11 BST 2004

At the last GLUG meeting I promised to post some details on Sun
workstations and detecting the SCSI ID (I think it was for David &
Sharon - apologies if I got the wrong couple).

Right.

You had 4GB and 40GB hard disks.

Assuming the 4GB (as supplied) is in the machine.

Power on the machine and use STOP-A to get to the 'ok' prompt.

Type probe-scsi

This command will list the SCSI devices attached to the machine.

You should be able to spot the SCSI ID of the 4GB drive. It will be a
number between 0 and 7 or 0 and 15. IIRC 7 is the SCSI controller so the
HD won't be that.

Having now noted the ID (lets say it was 3) you can now set the 40GB
drive to a different value. Lets say '0' (as it easiest).

On the back of the HD by the big connector will be some jumpers which
set the SCSI ID. There are others but they need not concern us at the
mo. The SCSI ID jumpers are usually labelled either 4 2 0, 4 2 1, ID3
ID2 ID1 or 3 2 1. If the drive is a recent one (less than 5yrs) it may
have a 4th ID pin labelled 8 (as in 8 4 2 0) or 4 (as in 4 3 2 1). When
a jumper is shorted (connected together) consider it a binary 1. Open
circuit (no jumper connector) is a binary 0. So this gives us the
possible settings

Jumper Pin	SCSI ID
8  4  2  1
-----------------------
x  x  x  x	0
x  x  x  I	1
x  x  I  x	2
x  x  I  I	3
x  I  x  x	4
x  I  x  I	5
x  I  I  x	6
x  I  I  I	7
I  x  x  x	8
etc up to
I  I  I  I	15

I=connected together
x=open circuit

So, for a SCSI ID of 0 we need not connect ant pins together.

So, with two HDs with different SCSI IDs if you have them connected to
the SPARC at the smae time a 'probe-scsi' command should show both
drives listed.

If you can only connect one at a time, set the ID to the same as the 4GB
  drive. One of the PROM (that's the ok prompt thingy) environement
variables set the HD disk to be used when boot from disk (e.g. boot
disk). This setting maps to a SCSI ID which you would have to change if
you used a differnet ID. To see all the setting type 'printenv' at the
'ok' prompt.

There's loads more to this so please shout if you want more info or
would like to move to the next stage (attempting an install).

One final thing, when messing with the HDs, and jumpers et al, power off
the SPARC.

HTH
--
Best Regards