[Gloucs] SuSE login

jim_ashford at lineone.net jim_ashford at lineone.net
Sun Mar 21 14:40:50 GMT 2004

Laptop
Dell Latitude Cpx
P3 650Mh
256 Mb RAM
20Gb harddrive
CD ROM  Modular Bay
DVD ROM Modular Bay
5.5Gb Modular Bay
31/2  Floppy drive Modular Bay
O/S SuSE 9 for home, fun and the Internet - Windows 2000 for college.

Hi Guys
HELP!

I got my laptop back from the shop yesterday, I had been having trouble
with it loosing time in both O/S  the tec guy at the shop said that after
spending a week changing both CMOS battery and the mother board, and trying
the hard drive in a different laptop the time loss was definitely a software
problem, when I tried to run SuSE in shop it would not display the login
screen after initial boot-up.

After I got the laptop home I tried to fix it, by using the upgrade option,
and having had no success, I then backed up ever thing and reformatted the
whole hard drive as FAT32 and reinstalled Windows, then repartitioned the
hard disk and installed, and SuSE 8.2.
It installed with no problems, except that when it time to login, all I
got is a blank screen,
I then tried with SuSE 9 with no success, now as far as I can see in the
BIOS on the mother board I have exactly the same on-board graphics as the
mother board I had before.

I don't understand why I can install Windows, but not SuSE.
Please, Please help.

PS
The clock now runs at the right time, so the guy was right about it being
a software problem.