[Gloucs] March Meeting 23rd

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 00:28:02 GMT 2004

"Tim Ballam" <tim.ballam at cpccomputers.co.uk> wrote:

> Fire wall users?.
>
> Why still on SmoothWall, yes it has it's uses.
>
> I've tried a lot of software and hardware based fire walls, appart
> from a Watchguard fire box the next best I've found has been a Mitel
> SME server. The latest version even has port redirection built in (at
> last).
>
> If you look at the easy to install extras, SmoothWall why?
>
> I've been running a PII-300 (£25 plus a hard drive) as a firewall,
> "net juke" MP3 jukebox (internal usage only!), IDS, mail server, anti
> spam and virus checking of mail (using Sophos with an auto updating
> script) etc. for over a year no problems!
>
> Just try a port scan, auto ban for 24 hrs, MSSW eat your hart out!
>
> well enough of a promo for the SME.
>
> Go on Glawz!
>
> Tim Ballam

Well, I'm not going to start a firewall slanging match, each to their
own I say. However, I prefer to leave my firewall just doing firewall
stuff, I have a server behind it doing most of the functions you quote.
Interestingly, SME got a bit of a hammering in the Linux Format (51)
roundup of firewalls; a may be unfair 4/10 compared to Smoothwall's
9/10.

Regards,
Paul