[Gloucs] Re: [SB] Redhat 9 binary

Aaron Sloman A.Sloman at cs.bham.ac.uk
Wed May 5 23:25:15 BST 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, Roy M wrote:

> I bought a Linux mag [don't know when there is no date on it, issue 33]
> anyway, on the front was a free Redhat ver 9 binary.
>
> I have just gotten around to installing it - with some little
> difficulty.
>
> It seems to, a newbie like me, to have potential within the way I use a
> PC. I tried Mandrake, and have bought! M 10; but just cannot get the
> damn thing to install, anyway I ramble on.
>
> What I would like to know is, has anyone installed the redhat 9 binary
> and followed it up with a full prog purchase, if so did it install OVER
> the binary ? or does the binary have to be uninstalled first!

Without knowing exactly what was on the CD (I assume it was a CD). It
may have been a minimal desktop installation of RH 9 without compilers,
or development tools and a small set of applications.

If you try to get a full RH 9 (e.g. from www.maxtux.co.uk or
www.linuxemporium.co.uk, or from www.creativechanges.uklinux.net or from
a friend who already has it) then when you install it from the CD you
can specify that it is an upgrade, in which case it will install over
the version you already have. you'll get options as to what you want to
have installed, and it may or may not fit into the space you have
already allocated on the hard drive for RH9.

I have installed it on two laptops, one where it was an upgrade from
Redhat 8, and one where it was a fresh install.

Both worked fine, though on the new laptop I later upgraded the kernel
to support software suspend and CPU frequency control to extend battery
life.

Many people will now advise you to go for Fedora instead (the 'free'
successor to RH 9), but I have no experience of it. See
    http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/

I don't know if the suppliers listed above still provide RH 9.

Aaron

--
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs/ )
EMAIL   A.Sloman at cs.bham.ac.uk