[Gloucs] LPI Manuals

Guy Edwards guy_j_edwards at HotPOP.com
Thu May 6 22:41:08 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 19:16, Simon Porter wrote:
> Jill Tovey wrote:
> >We were talking at the meeting about general introductions to Linux and then good sites for LPI revision etc so I thought I'd forward on this link which provides good notes for the LPI Level 1 and 2.
> >
> >http://www.nongnu.org/lpi-manuals/
> >
> >Note that there are some sections from the syllabus omitted in the manual such as "maintaining the system time" (102) which featured quite heavily in my 102 exam, so if you exclusively use them as revision notes make sure you read the syllabus and lookup as necessary.
> >
> >Regardless of whether you are taking the exams or not, they're good reference/introductory manuals.
> >
> >Enjoy
> >
> Hi,
>
> LPI looks like it may be quite a useful addition to the University
> degree I'm taking and have planned in the future to try getting some
> certification if possible. I have a few of questions for you or anyone
> really. How highly is this certification held? (MSCE is quite common
> these days whereas I've read that RHCE is very hard going) Where does it
> fit in, in terms of difficulty, compared to other such certifications?
> (i.e. Redhat, Novell, Cisco, MSCE). Also how expensive is it?
>
> Thanks,
> Simon

I think it's usually £75 but Jill found it cheaper somewhere? Normally
shopping around doesn't help much as the vendor sets the price. LPI seem
to be developing a habit of offering the 101 and 201 for £15 at the
Linux shows which can save you a bit of money.

LPI 101 and 102 make up the Level 1 LPIC certification. (so that would
be £150)
LPI 201 and 202 make up the level2,
LPI 301 and 302 are under development as far as I know

RHCE is a practical exam, there's some RHCE's on the list who hopefully
wont mind a few questions.

Redhat also help out the LPI guys according to LPI's FAQ which makes
sense as they're different types of exam.
http://www.lpi.org/en/faq1.html

It's not easy to compare the eaxms you mentioned as they're different
subject areas. You might compare the Linux+ and LPIC-1 which would be
appropriate. LPI101 and 102 for £150 compares well to something like the
A+ which'll cost you about £200 and is (IMHO) not as good as having
LPIC-1.

This is a bit speculative as I've only done the 101:
If I was starting off I might go for A+, LPI101, Network+ maybe a MCP.

Depending on where your careers heading you might then go for the CCNA
which (semester1) overlaps with the Network+, finish off the LPIC-1 with
LPI102

If I had a big chunk of experience and was looking at a Linux career I'd
go for LPIC-2 and RHCE, an MCP won't hurt if you're in a mixed
environment. If I was going for networking it'd have to be the Network+
and Cisco.

IBM revision materials help too, look for the LPI titled enteries on
this page:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/views/linux/tutorials.jsp

Hope it helps

Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards at HotPOP.com>