[Gloucs] Hello

Francis Barton fbarton at fish.co.uk
Wed May 12 13:22:47 BST 2004

Quoting DOMINIC CLAY <dominic.clay at btopenworld.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I have just joined the list and so I thought I should make myself known.

Welcome to the group Dominic, and thanks for introducing yourself.
Hope you can make the next meeting.

> I have been using Linux in a small way for a few years now.  My main
> experience has been with Gentoo although I have used Redhat and have
> currently got a Debian sarge install on my machine.
>
> I am interested in the idea of Linux on the desktop although I have to say
> that I have not yet seen/'managed to install'  a fully fledged desktop system
> without issues and having loose ends and unresolved issues so I don't quite
> believe its there yet (well for the newbie like me anyway :P ).

Hmmm, a newbie whose main experience has been with Gentoo and Debian... nice.
I think that probably qualifies you as an ex-newbie tbh.

Hope the group can help iron out those loose ends, to mangle a metaphor. We all
have them, if you didn't have "issues" where would be the fun in playing with
Linux? Go on, give us a problem for starters... and don't say you don't get
them on Debian anyone!

> Hope to have many enlightening conversations to come.

Don't hold your breath ;-) Seriously, though, that would be good. Maybe you
might feel able to do a short presentation on your Java development one day at
a meet? I would love someone to explain what is supposedly so good about it.

Keep in touch with those desktop issues etc.
Francis