[Gloucs] Hello

Dave Addison dave at redmoor.org.uk
Thu May 13 18:59:46 BST 2004

In message <40A29D4F.5060109 at corruptive.co.uk>, Tom Walker
<twalker at corruptive.co.uk> writes
>DOMINIC CLAY wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   I have just joined the list and so I thought I should make myself
>>known.
>>   I have been using Linux in a small way for a few years now.  My
>>main experience has been with Gentoo although I have used Redhat and
>>have currently got a Debian sarge install on my machine.
>>   The main interest that brought me to Linux was java development and
>>I  have had a long love/hate relationship with using JBoss
>>predominantly as  a servlet container (tomcat essentially) however I
>>am currently starting  to use a shopping cart web application in php
>>(Zen-cart) and have no  real understanding of php yet.
>>   I am interested in the idea of Linux on the desktop although I have
>>to say that I have not yet seen/'managed to install'  a fully fledged
>>desktop system without issues and having loose ends and unresolved
>>issues so I don't quite believe its there yet (well for the newbie
>>like  me anyway :P ).
>>   Hope to have many enlightening conversations to come.
>>   Cheers,
>> Dominic

>> Virtual IRC meets every Sunday 8-10pm in #glug on irc.slashnet.org
>
>Welcome Dominic,
>I feel a desktop without issues is something that always seems simple
>in theory to attain and somehow constantly illusive.
>This month I have been trying out Libranet and Mandrake Move. I would
>have tried out Knoppix 3.4 but the ISO would not burn properly for some
>reason. I only mention just in case anyone else had the same problem.
>ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04-EN.iso
>
>A lot of the people in this LUG seem to like Debian so I will give that
>another go seeing as everybody including me seems to have bought Linux
>Magazine this month. As someone on this list recently chose to
>scrutinize the email headers for traces of Microsoft software and
>organise some sort of lynch mob it would be nice to 'apt-get evolution'
>even if that mob was one person who was handed their coat and shown the
>door.
>It is tough to have an install day coming up when I really only use
>GNU/Linux for hosting and actually just have Cygwin for the
>administration. In a way it is a good thing that I find it so hard to
>get things like Blackbox to run in X11R6 under Cygwin as I probably
>would never make the transition to a Linux only install.
>
>Sorry to ramble on. Again, welcome to the group.
>
>Tom

>Virtual IRC meets every Sunday 8-10pm in #glug on irc.slashnet.org

I'm a big fan of Suse 9.0 for the desktop. It works fine on my laptop
(no problems with built in hardware at all) although it still seems to
have a few problems with vmware.

I'm still using RedHat 7.2 on my server. I can't quite face the angst of
installing a new distribution so it will probably be upgraded to fedora
at some point..
--
Dave Addison