[Gloucs] FAQ generation tool

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Sun Oct 3 15:17:42 BST 2004

Thomas Adam wrote:

>On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 12:56:16AM +0100, Glyn Davies wrote:
>

>>work. galeon whinges about MOZILA_FIVE_HOME not being set. Mozilla runs
>>(1 process) but never displays. Running a second time from the command
>>line just causes it to exit very rapidly.
>>

>"mozilla" is just a shell wrapper script around the mozilla-bin binary.
>

>>Dunno what's going on. Only things I can think of are some recent rpm
>>updates foobaring it, or IIRC, I accidentally ran mozzy as root and it
>>came up with the user profile chooser. dunno if that could have somehow
>>broken something. Anyhoo, sat here in a huff.
>>

>When you sat there in a huff, did you bother to do much about it? :) Running
>mozilla as user 'root' was rather silly. For your prefered non-root login, did
>you try temporarily renaming the ~/.mozilla directory to something else?
>
>-- Thomas Adam

Sussed it after a short period of huffedness. Just had to reinstall the
latest mozilla rpms. I've seen galeon mess up mozzy before requiring a
reinstallation. The symptoms were different last time though. A usenet
posting I happened upon suggested the galeon dudes produce mozzy rpms
too presumably because of that problem.

As regards running it as root, it wasn't intentional. I was logged in as
root (gnome desktop) and had just switched back to the session on my
Belkin KVM. This little beastie doesn't like Linux or 3 button mice (one
or the other) and when you switch back to a Linux session you have to
unplug and re-plug the mouse. If you don't do this and move the mouse,
the pointer goes flying erratically all over the screen randomly
clicking things. That's how mozzy ran as root. Besides, running mozzy as
root isn't that dangerous (IMHO). It depends what you do with it.

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies