[Gloucs] parental control

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Sun Oct 31 18:38:14 GMT 2004

Paul Robertson wrote:

> I am coming under pressure to implement some kind of parental control
> over www access at home.
> We use both Windows and Linux and as our kids are quite young, the
> main risks are of accidentally turning up unsuitable material on the web.
> It would be nice to block popup ads too.
> I assume this can all be done using a linux box as a firewall / proxy
> webserver.
> Has anyone done this who can point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks,

Paul,

IPCop (http://www.ipcop.org/) + some 'unsupported' add-ons can provide
what you need.

IPCop is a web controlled firewall allowing you to share your net
connection to your other machines.

An 'unsupported' (i.e. not from the IPCop team) add-on server will then
allow you to add (IIRC) squidguard and dansguardian modules (not sure
what the difference is between these two - too lazy to read the web
pages :) ). The IPCop machine will DL the black lists automatically and
you can configure what is blocked.

You do of course need a spare machine to be your firewall.

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies