[Gloucs] apache virtual hosts

Dave Addison dave at redmoor.org.uk
Mon Sep 20 22:17:27 BST 2004

In message <200409181730.04494.richard at the-sett.nildram.co.uk>, Richard
Mellersh <richard at the-sett.nildram.co.uk> writes
>Guy,
>Thanks for the reply, it's not yet sorted, in fact it's worse.
>
>At the bottom I've copied the original mail but ignore the "please feel free
>to try it... " bit - it doesn't.
>
>I suppose it is "mucking around" but I REALLY want it to work from outside but
>without DNS yet (I don't know how or how much it is to do DNS).  What I
>thought would work is if I give friends/ colleagues etc an address such as
>http://195.112.17.79/site1 or http://195.112.17.79/site2 I could somehow use
>apache to redirect these requests to various directories.
Apache virtual hosting is either IP based (which isn't much help as you
only have one IP address) or name based. Name based allows you to have
multiple hosts on one IP and the example config Guy posted was for this.

DNS doesn't cost anything. http://www.dyndns.org offer static and
dynamic DNS entries which you can use to point multiple host names to
your external IP address. They also have links to update clients which
will automatically update the entries if you have a dynamic IP address
and it changes.

I've used them for a couple of years now without trouble using ddclient
to update the records. I'm not sure if it will handle retrieving the
interface address from an IPCOP box though.
--
Dave Addison