[Gloucs] Joystick support

Paul Robertson paul.robertson at soft-machine.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 16:28:52 BST 2005

> Hi Paul!
>
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Paul Robertson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Does anyone know how I can get support for a joystick with a twist-grip
>> handle thingy.
>> The joystick is a Microsoft Sidewinder, and the Linux box is running a
>> 2.4
>> kernel.
>> The standard device driver supports X and Y-axes and buttons, but not the
>> twist grip.
>> So I guess I'm looking for a replacement driver.
>
> I don't know the answer, but I noticed it lay unanswered on the list
> for a few days.
>
> I will start the problem-solving process with a pertinent question :-
>
> Is it a USB or gameport joystick ?
>
> Best regards, David

Hi David,

Its a USB joystick.
Actually I was wrong in thinking that the 2.4 kernel cannot support more
than X, and Y axes.
I discovered a couple of days ago that the jscal program can read the
twist-grip as axis-3
A quick look at the source for jscal and I discovered that the information
I need is all there in the include file linux/joystick.h

It's not actually me writing the software in this case, but all help
gratefully received and passed on.

Thanks,
--
Paul