[Gloucs] Administration of home computer

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Sat Apr 30 10:42:43 BST 2005

Around 11:21pm on Friday, April 29, 2005 (UK time), Glyn Davies scrawled:

> machine and you should be able to connect to it over the Net. I'd
> configure sshd to only accept connections from one obscure username and
> add that user to the machine. This will stop the brute force attacks
> trying typical username/password combos. It happens a lot and I'm afraid
> steve is just too typical a username. Use a decent password on the
> account too.

A bit more on this.  I found changing the incomming port to a non
standard one, perhaps 70 or 8080 stopped what used to be regular attacks
on my network.  Also once it is up an running, look at using secure keys
rather than passwords - see http://kimmo.suominen.com/docs/ssh/ and ask
here for further help.  That also increaces the security.

Steve

--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?

 10:34:00  up 50 days, 13:40,  1 user,  load average: 0.23, 0.15, 0.06