[Gloucs] XP Linux dual boot

John Kilgour wj.kilgour at btopenworld.com
Thu Aug 18 09:00:49 BST 2005

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 21:36, Alan Carter wrote:
> On 17 Aug 2005, at 15:39, Steve Greig wrote:
> > Hi, First of all thanks for previous help on burning Ubuntu Live CD
> > etc. I have had an interesting time testing Ubuntu Live and then a
> > version of Fedora1 that came with a book call Linux for Non-Geeks. I
> > went throught the projects in the book. I have now restored XP. Apart
> > from not being able to resurrect my backed up old outlook express
> > emails all has gone well. I would love to be able to transer all these
> > into an open source email program but it looks tricky.
>
> Kmail lets you import your emails from outlook express if I remember
> correctly and uses a XP type wizard to do so.
>
> > I am now keen to install XP and Ubuntu on the lap top but have found
> > reading about this has still left me with some questions. These mainly
> > relate to what sort of partitions I should create on my 18GB hard
> > drive. It is FAT32 (at the moment) and for Windows is probably best
> > kept that way so I can access the Windows partition from Linux. I
> > would be very grateful for any advice on how to partition the disc and
> > what order to install the Windows and Linux OSs.
>
> Install windows first as all Linux distribution recognize windows is
> installed and create you a boot menu for dual boot automatically.

Before installing Linux, defragment your hard disk to get all the Windows
files at one end.

> If
> you install windows afterwards you will need to restore the MBR(daul
> boot menu) not impossible but can be difficult for a beginner.
> You are write to leave windows as FAT32 as linux fully supports this
> and has for many years.
> Partitioning can be a little personal but for a first install I would
> create 2 partitions for linux. 512mb or so swap and about 8-9gb ext3
> root partition, you may need to adjust this size to fit you XP.

One alternative would be to split the 8Gb ext3 partition into two 4Gb ext3
partitions and use one for /home and the other for everything else. This
makes saving user data easier when you upgrade you Linux system.