[Gloucs] ALSA config help

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 21:38:24 BST 2005

"Pete Wright AIIE" <r3t39 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> well im running ubuntu 5.04, AMD 64 kernel 2.6.10-5, now i have this problem
> of ALSA defaulting to my usb webcam as the default sound device, instead of
> my sound card. can anyone help me in configuring it so then the webcam is
> completely disabled/removed from the alsa config?

I presume its a USB webcam.  I've just reproduced your problem on my system, (I've not used the webcam on ubuntu before).  A simple but crude solution should be to unplug the webcam and reboot without it.  Once the system is up and running you can plug in the webcam, the sound card continues to work and you can use the webcam too.

A better solution is to force the kernel to load your sound card module earlier during the boot sequence.  You can do this by adding your sound card kernel module to the list in the file /etc/modules.  You can find your sound card module name using:

grep snd /proc/modules

Mine had a line:
snd_es1968 31328 2 - Live 0xd095300

I just added snd_es1968 to my /etc/modules file and rebooted (with the webcam plugged in) and the sound card and webcam both worked as expected.

Hope that helps,
Paul