[Gloucs] TV Card

Tom Walker mrtom at gmx.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 16:15:36 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 09:06 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 27/12/05, Christian Trapp <christian.trapp at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I intend to enhance my linux computer with a analog/digital tv card. I would like to record movies eg on the harddisk and to delete the
>
> DVB-T is digital terrestrial television (branded as Freeview in the
> UK), DVB-S is digital satellite television (the main vendor being Sky
> in the UK). DVB-T is easily do-able under linux, DVB-S is do-able but
> you can't receive Sky, only other non-Sky satellites.

I'll just add some extra info on DVB-S...

Here is a list of English FTA channels you can recieve with a dish -
http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-Kingdom.html

Most of them are available on the Astra satellites which are also used
by Sky - http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html (all of the light yellow
channels are FTA)

Although there are more channels than terrestrial most of the extra ones
don't look that interesting but there are far more radio stations.

The card I am using is a Skystar 2 which was about £30.

Initial tuning is more prone to errors than DVB-T - it's easy, but there
are a few things you have to know. This can be frustrating so DVB-T
probably is the better option.

> > Another question is the hardware. What card is working with linux (my distri is MEPIS at the moment). My CPU runs with 1.8 Mhz, RAM = 512 MB.

I don't have any problems on a 1.4Ghz machine, I just need more hard
disk space!

Tom

--
Tom Walker <mrtom at gmx.co.uk>