[Gloucs] Another Linux newcomer

Steve Greig steve at stevespages.org.uk
Thu Feb 10 20:43:31 GMT 2005

Hi, I also have just joined your mailing list and was interested by Toms email and Guy's reply. I want to migrate from Windows XP to Linux and also, at my suggestion, my father is going to get a new computer and use Linux (if it doesn't work out he can go buy XP).

I had chosen to go with Red Hat but only because that is the only distribution for which I could find a big book on the subject (The Red Hat Linux 9 Bible which I have just bought). Is there any particular reason to think that Red Hat might not be a very good choice for a beginner like myself? I notice it was not on Guy's list.

I have wanted to do this for a couple of years and my enthusiasm was rekindled when I saw the shop in Cirencester (Computer Broker) offering computers with Linux installed. We are prepared to pay for someone to install it and also to configure it to work with the broadband internet connection. Actually the shop has been a bit slow at responding but they should do so at any moment.

I know most of you are probably very clued up in the computer field but if you do have any thoughts on all this directed at a user rather than developer I would be very grateful.

Best wishes from Steve Greig