[Gloucs] Meeting March 30th: Software Patents and 'Computer-Implemented Inventions'

Mick Brooks michael.brooks at physics.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 17 19:40:54 GMT 2005

Hi all,

After reading David Corking's recent posting about software patents, I
realised I was less well-informed on the subject than I'd like to be,
and asked him if he'd like to speak to us about it. He, very kindly, and
very promptly, replied that he would, and volunteered the following
proposal:

30 March - Software Patents and 'Computer-Implemented Inventions'

What are they?  Where did they come from?  What impact will they
have?  What is the proposed EU directive on 'computer-implemented
inventions' all about?  I will talk for 15 - 30 minutes, with
slides, to give concise answers to these questions.  I will
present the case against software patents.

Then I will lead a 30 minute discussion on

 - the impact on us as members of the Linux community, as users,
   developers or advocates.

 - what we can do to improve the situation.

About the speaker:  David Corking is an independent project
manager who is concerned about the negative effects software
patents will have on developing custom software and using open
source software.

I didn't think I'd offend anyone by accepting his offer on behalf of the
LUG, and so I suggest this goes in everyone's diary, and on to the
website, as soon as possible (especially since David is coming from
Wiltshire to speak).

(Paul - we are set up for meeting at the library again, aren't we?)

All the best,

--
Mick Brooks
michael.brooks at physics.ox.ac.uk