[Gloucs] Odd shell behaviour...

Mick Brooks michael.brooks at physics.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 6 14:51:49 GMT 2005

A Happy New Year to all,

Recently (after an apt-get upgrade, I think), gv (a postscript viewer) stopped
working:

$ gv
bash: /usr/bin/X11/gv: No such file or directory

/usr/bin/X11/gv is not present, so bash is correct. I then run which:

$ which gv
/usr/bin/gv

and running

$ /usr/bin/gv
works perfectly (/usr/bin/gv is not a link to /usr/bin/X11/gv).

I have no aliases defined that concern gv, and I can't see any other gv
executables that might be being picked up in my path before the correct
one. Does anybody have any idea what's going on?

It gets wierder, though: if I use strace (I wanted to see if I could see where
bash was looking) like so:

$ strace gv

it works perfectly! What's 'strace gv' got that 'gv' doesn't?

All the best,

--
Mick Brooks
michael.brooks at physics.ox.ac.uk