[Gloucs] LugRadio and early experiences of Ubuntu Live CD

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Sun Jun 26 18:04:26 BST 2005

Glyn Davies <glynd at walmore.com> wrote:

> Yo, Luggites,
> Well, that was jolly good fun. Thanks again Paul for driving. I won't
> embarrass you[1] by mentioning the 50 mile detour we did down the M54
> on  the way home - ooops :)

Yeah, thanks for not mentioning that.

> Anyone 'lost' their tattoo yet?

It took a scrubbing brush and lots of soap to remove it in the end.  I
was consoled by the fact that, somewhere (on earth/in space), there was
a million/billionaire having the same problem! For those that missed the
event yesterday, this is a reference to Mark Shuttleworth (of Ubuntu
fame) who did a interesting talk; seamed to be a really nice guy too.
We were wondering how he made his millions; its all explained on his web
site <http://www.markshuttleworth.com/bio.html>.

> Right. Ubuntu.
> Not done any better of worse that Fedora at recognising my laptop's
> hardware. No sign of it recognising the orinoco USB wireless card - a
> killer adoption criteria. Didn't recognise the Dexxa (Logitech
> QuickCam)  either.

A quick search of the package list shows the QuickCam driver source is
available:

ubuntu at dobby:~$ apt-cache search logitech
qc-usb-source - source code for QuickCam Express kernel module
qce-source - source code for QuickCam Express kernel module

I'm no ubuntu expert so I don't know why its not already ready to go.
You could probably compile and install the source using the module assistant:

ubuntu at dobby:~$ apt-cache search module-assistant
module-assistant - tool make module package creation easier

orinoco drivers look to me more of a problem; someone must have sorted it though.

> So, this blooming marvelous apt-get. How do you search for packages to
> install?

Using the command line "apt-get install module-assistant" for example.
An easier way for starting though is using Synaptic.  This is a package
management GUI installed by default on ubuntu; available from the
System->Administration->Synaptic menu option.

Before you start that though, and before using the above command line
examples, you may want to expand your package selection to the the whole
archive.  By default, this is limited to some core packages.  Run the
System->Adminstration->Ubuntu Update manager.  Select preferences, then
Add, and then click universe and multiverse options.  The tool will update
your package lists and then a load of new packages will be available.

> Should have bought that Fedora mug! :)
> [1] Actually, I must take some or the blame for this as I was dozing
> in  the back. IIRC, you were counselling Iain on some kind of bash
> problem  he had too.

Ha ha.

Regards,
Paul