[Gloucs] LugRadio and early experiences of Ubuntu Live CD

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 00:48:22 BST 2005

Iain Calder <iain.calder at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Glyn Davies wrote:
> > 4) It downloads 13 of 14 indexes and barfs on
> > http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hoary-security/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz:MD5Sum
> > mismatch
> > and another one I can't be bothered to type
> >
> > 5) Close that window and get a warning window saying much the same (no
> > such file or Directory).
>
> I might be missing something but surely you cannot install new packages
> using the live CD, since /usr will be read-only from the CD?

Well it worked for me using the live disk.  I even managed to install a
package!  I did pick something small though (ascii).  I would like to
investigate how this cleverness works but it looks like /usr/bin is
writable.  A ram disk or something via a swap file? Anyway, it works on
my test machine with 256MB ram.  May be Glyn does not have enough RAM
for the live CD to work its magic.

Paul