[Gloucs] Getting rid of Windoze

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Sat Mar 5 16:24:05 GMT 2005

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 04:10:10PM +0000, Mick Brooks wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 01:40:33PM +0000, Steve Searle wrote:

> Is this true? I know that there is an 'FTP' version of SUSE (still
> called FTP, even though they provide an ISO now), but what about some

It's not a "version" -- let's get that straight.

> of the non-GPL'd software on there? For example, is YaST (or however
> it's capitalized) on the FTP version (is anybody using it and can tell
> me)? If so, its licence used to say that you couldn't distribute it
> for a fee without express permission - or has that changed?

Yast went open source, so it is fully applicable that you can distribute
it -- and even if it still wasn't open source, that wouldn't stop you
from distributing it.  Remember that the only thing you have to release
is the source code (if you can change it) -- you can still charge a
nominal fee, either way.

> I think the DVD in the box set is licensed differently, so that we
> can't even copy it and give it away, let alone sell it.

That's incorrect -- and if that is the case, SuSE are in violation of
the GPL.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"