[Gloucs] Just a short hello...

Mick Brooks michael.brooks at physics.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 23 23:16:41 GMT 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 09:11:21PM +0100, Christian.Trapp at gmx.net wrote:

Hi Christian,

> I moved to Cheltenham recently from Hamburg in Germany and I am glad
> to find this Linux group here.
> I am 45 and run a Suse 8.1 since two years in a network environment
> and I am really happy with this OS. I would prefer to have a debian
> based system but due to Yast it is easier to administrate Suse. I
> would like to support Linux and to help others with my knowledge.

Well, you're are certainly very welcome to hang around and help us out.
We're a good mix of abilities, so I'm sure you'll be able both to help,
and to learn something.

> Question: Is there a  regulary Linux meeting where people meet to talk
> about Linux?

Yes, we are trying to meet up regularly now on the last Wednesday of
each month, and your post is very timely: I'm about to remind people
about the meeting that we have arranged for next week (details are
available on the website at <http://www.gloucs.lug.org.uk>). Please try
and come along (we'll be meeting a little north of Cheltenham, so you
might need a car - do shout if you don't have transport, we might be
able to get you a lift)- we have a speaker who'll lead a discussion
about software patents, and we'd be glad to see you.

> PS: My first impression is, that GB seems to be fully dominated by
> Microsoft ....

Well, hopefully we can change your impression a little, but, I think
linux people here look to Germany as a great example of how open source
can work for business & government as well as geeks. I understand that
SuSE have held some influence there - I don't think we've had the
same kind of home-grown champion in this country.

All the best,

--
Mick Brooks
michael.brooks at physics.ox.ac.uk