[Gloucs] Linux and broadband

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Sat May 21 00:01:50 BST 2005

Christian.Trapp at gmx.net wrote:
> I am looking for a broadband provider. Does somebody knows, which one
> supports Linux

Why do you want an ISP that supports Linux? The best thing you can do it
put a hardware router on the line (I favour Draytek Vigors, but others
will favour Netgear or whatever). Then you have an Ethernet port(s) you
can plug anything into - Windows, Linux, Mac, VMS or even OS/8 if you
can get an Ethernet driver... The kind of Linux support you'll get from
an ISP will, I suspect, rarely be worth having although there are
exceptions. By way of example, albeit Windows, BT's business - note
BUSINESS - broadband service only support Microsoft Outlook Express as
an email client: it does not support Microsoft Outlook. When I pointed
out to them that Outlook was far more prevalent in business than Outlook
Express, they justified their decision by saying that they supplied
Outlook Express on the BT Broadband CD. My point is that even if you
find an ISP that supports Linux, they'll probably only be happy to
support KDE or Red Hat or some other restriction.

--
Keith Edmunds