[Gloucs] Linux and broadband

Andrew Oakley aoakley at messagelabs.com
Mon May 23 10:28:53 BST 2005

Christian.Trapp at gmx.net wrote:
> I am looking for a broadband provider. Does somebody knows, which one
> supports Linux and offers a good price quality relations (what's about
> TeleWest)?

I live outside the TeleWest area and have been delighted with SurfAnyTime aka Firefly for ADSL. They provide uncapped services [1] with no port restrictions and an optional static IP starting at 24 quid per month. They also do 2GB capped services from 18 quid.

No port restrictions and a static IP is particularly useful for my home Linux server, I have it running SMTP, FTP, SSH, HTTP servers just fine (it also runs a free public WiFi hotspot http://www.nam-vets.org/frampton ). A lot of other providers block SMTP for starters.

What I particularly like about SurfAnyTime/Firefly is that the support staff are extremely quick to respond, and sit on a web forum http://forums.fireflyinternet.com responding to support calls in public. So that means that you get both user-user and user-staff support, and you can see other people's support queries and responses. There is also phone and email support if you want support in private.

http://www.surfanytime.net
http://www.fireflyinternet.com

[1] Usenet is capped at 6GB/month, but there are no caps on FTP/HTTP/BitTorrent etc.

There are now only 5 exchanges in Gloucestershire which don't yet have ADSL, three of which are due to be upgraded in July. The only Glos exchanges which won't have ADSL for the foreseeable future are Rodmarton (near Kemble near Cirencester) and Leighterton (near Westonbirt near Tetbury).

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/countydetail.php?county=73

--
Andrew Oakley - Anti Spam Development Manager
MessageLabs - aoakley at messagelabs.com - x7044