[Gloucs] Bad news for Linux

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Thu Apr 20 15:15:01 BST 2006

On 4/20/06, Barbie <barbie at missbarbell.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 11:06:38AM +0100, Christian Trapp wrote:
> >
> > It was just a matter of time till somebody would create a virus for Linux :(
>
> There are quite a few in existence. They just don't get widely
> publicised.

Yes - this news reawakened attention in an earlier proof-of-concept
http://virus.bartolich.at/virus-writing-HOWTO/_html/index.html

The news in 2006 is that it can infect ELF binaries and Win32 ones.  A
virus is a virus - except this is two viruses in one.

Still the danger here remains only to those of us with executable code
in our home directories, and who are given an infected binary and are
persuaded to run it.     A trojan horse would probably be as bad, and
of course, server remote exploits (combined with rootkits) are far
worse.