[Gloucs] Postfix

Chris Davis thamossop at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 22 12:05:59 BST 2006

Hi,

Just stumbled across your list and I’m still quite new to Linux so apologies
if this is a bit simple, but it says newbies are welcome..

I’m using FC4 and trying to go through all of this lot.. HYPERLINK
"http://www.freespamfilter.org/FC4.html"http://www.freespamfilter.org/FC4ht
ml

I’ve tended to stick to rpms, instead of downloading the files and
installing them manually, to save on faffing about with pre-reqs and all
that.

I have the configuration setup to accept SMTP communication from my local
network only to start with, following the aforementioned guide. I’ve opened
up port 25 for incoming communication on the firewall too.

With the default configuration files, I can’t connect, but with my newly
created ones I can so I know I must’ve done something right.

However, when I do connect from my Windows XP machine to the Linux box, via
telnet port 25, is a blank window and a cursor. The cursor moves when I type
but that’s it. I try HELO <domain name> and I don’t see any other movements
of the cursor apart from mine and nothing is actually echoed on the screen.

It’s not the first time I’ve seen this as I’ve stumbled upon this on other
servers but I have no idea how to fix this. Probably something small and
obvious for those who know?

Anyone?

Cheers,

Chris.