[Gloucs] New router advice

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Wed Dec 27 18:50:14 GMT 2006

Not strictly Linux but you folks are a knowledgeable bunch...

I currently have a Smoothwall box performing the router/firewall
function on my network.  It's an old PC, it will break one day and it's
consuming lots of power being on 24/7.  I was thinking of replacing it
with a small, lower power box from the likes of Netgear or D-Link.

The problem is is they don't appear to be as good.  The main feature
they appear to lack is a proper demilitarized zone (DMZ), i.e. one that
makes use of a separate subnetwork.  Smoothwall not only fully protects
the DMZ only allowing through ports you specify, but also allows you to
provide controlled access into your internal network should you wish.

The boxes I've looked at so far allow you to "fully expose" a machine to
the WAN side but the "DMZ" machine will have full internal network
access, doesn't sound very DMZ to me!

Any experience out there that can help me find what I'm looking for?
Alternatively, a recommendation for a small, cheap, low power PC that
can run Smoothwall with three network ports would be great.

Regards and happy Christmas,
Paul