[Gloucs] [Fwd: PRESS RELEASE on China: Internet companies assist censorship]

Steve Greig steve at stevespages.org.uk
Fri Feb 3 01:47:37 GMT 2006

Thanks for sending those responses Paul and others. I read the BBC
article and sent it on to my Amnesty International Colleagues. Irene
Khan of Amnesty International had a meeting with Microsoft and I have
pasted some brief feed back about it below: "

As some of you know the Secretary General Irene Khan met with Microsoft
at the World Economic Forum Conference in Davos.
Following the meeting, on 31 January 2006, Microsoft announced a new
policy under which it would:

(a) Remove blog content only if it receives a legally-binding notice
from a government;
(b) Remove access only in that country (access will be available
elsewhere in the world); and,
(c) Notify affected bloggers that their content was blocked due to
government restrictions.

These measures in some way indicate that following the meeting with
Irene Khan there is now an opening with Microsoft, and that the company
appears to be willing to address concerns raised by AI regarding its
behaviour. However the policy does not fully address the issues - in
fact despite the policy, the company would still be able to provide
information on specific Microsoft users if asked by a legally binding
request by governments even if this is in violation of human  rights.

We will now need to think what our further response will be, both in
regards to Microsoft and Yahoo but also to Google and potentially other
companies involved with internet in China.

"