[Gloucs] Windows survival [was: Yesterday's meeting]

Mick Brooks michael.brooks at physics.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 28 21:55:11 GMT 2006

Hi Glyn, David,

Thanks for those tips. Tweakui for better focus handling has helped a
lot, and I've found the
Power Tool for turning on multiple desktops reasonably useful (I've yet
to investigate ZDDesk).

David Corking wrote:
> Anyway cygwin is very smart about finding its way round the filesystem
> with forward slashes and often copes with spaces in directory names
> too.  Some of your favourite bash and perl scripts may get a bit upset
> about those spaces in the filenames, sadly.  What troubles are you
> having managing files?

With files, I'm just not used to working with graphical file managers,
and end up in a maze of
explorer windows, all alike. Copying or moving files is a pain: I want
to type the destination
directory (with a little help from tab-completion), not navigate another
explorer window through
a hierarchy and drag stuff around - although this is a little better now
that I can keep one in view
while focusing another....

I think I've just realised what a large part of my problem is: Windows
doesn't seem to draw the
taskbar icons differently for minimized windows (although Janet's now
telling me that her window
manager doesn't do that, either). Anyone seen anything to switch
something like that on?

I was wondering about Cygwin: for a project that has both a native
windows version and
one available through Cygwin, what are the pros/cons of the two
approaches? I'm
trying(!) to keep an open mind and to give Windows a fair go, so don't
want to fall into using
Cygwin for everything, so that it becomes a pretend Linux, too early.

Thanks,

--
Mick