[Gloucs] from blind chap.

Lyndon Evans ldeevans at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 28 17:15:57 BST 2006

DOH!
Those links are...
http://portal.beam.ltd.uk/xvil/index.html
http://www.cio.noaa.gov/hpcc/access/linuxacs.htm
DOH!
Lyndon.

Lyndon Evans <ldeevans at yahoo.com> wrote: Hi Derry,
I would suggest you first do a web search for available screen readers
for Linux, whether for magnification, sound, and/or braille hardware. See
what is available. A quick look today, I've seen a couple (google search),
BEAM XVI for Linux - http://portal.beam.ltd.uk and
NOAA CIO - http://www.cio.noaa.gov/hpcc/access/inuxacs.htm which
is the BLinux users accessability group with some good pointers.
Your PC itself should have no issues running Linux, however, the
"hardware" you refer to, which I take to mean an additional accessibility
aid, there may be problems with. I have had some experience, some
years ago, with a chap with CP and Tunnel Vision, helping him to set
up a Commodore Amiga (Great magnification tool, speech synthesiser,
easy to use. If a computer could provide this level of useability, why
not now as standard) to write a book. My advice, go to the NOAA
access home page for starters,
http://www.cio.noaa.gov/hpcc/access/index.html
and see what advice they may have,
Good Luck,
Lyndon.

derry cosgrove  wrote: dear friends, i am an blind chap using windows xp.i am considering using
linux,at home i have an beiken adsl modem router and 2 laptops on an network
using wi fi slot in cards.thought about buying vista from microsoft.but may
just try linux.not sure if my hardware suits linux.have you got any linux
groups in your area or an linux guy i could ask professional advice about
linux.any help would be very much appreciated.many thanks from mr derry
cosgrove.have bought ubunato.and susie linux.but so far have never used them
yet,just need advice about linux.