[Gloucs] More than one hard drive

Alan Carter alan at TheAnnexe.org
Fri Jul 28 21:37:59 BST 2006

Richard Millington wrote:
> Hi,
> 	Hope I am doing this right! I have a machine on which I have loaded SuSE
> 10.1. There are Three hard drives, and I want to use the machine for Archival
> purposes. I have formatted and mounted both the other hard drives, but cannot
> access them from my user logon as they are configured as root.
> 	Used Yast in super user mode to format them, but cannot find a way to make
> them accessible to the 'user'.
> 	What have I missed? Where have I gone wrong? I am new'ish to Linux, and
> cannot seem to get to grips with the 'making an additional hard drive a
> folder'. Or have I got that wrong as well?
> 	Like most people, I am used to Windows, and it is easy to see a drive e, f,
> etc.
> 	Help please.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dick

Hi Richard,

You need to change the permissions on the hard drive.

Open up a terminal and type 'chmod richard.users -R
/harddrive_mountpoint' this assumes that you have a username of Richard
(check home directory name)
and you are in the group users (most likely).
This will allow you to read and write to the hard disk.

Good Luck

Alan