[Gloucs] what broadband providers do people use?

John Kilgour wj.kilgour at btopenworld.com
Tue Jun 20 21:45:11 BST 2006

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 19:40, andy wrote:
> I'm sure this has been asked before, so apologies in advance...
>
> what broadband providers are people using, particularly at
> the cheap and cheerful end (ie 1-2MB, low monthly volume)
>
> All the main players in this market (BT, tiscali, virgin)
> have zero support for Linux, and whilst I suspect that I
> could get drivers for whatever modem they are giving away
> free this month, and could probably extract enough info off
> their marginally supportive MAC pages I still feel a bit too
> reticent to dive in.
>
> Andy 	(definately thinking about maybe considering
> 	 a possible leap into the 20th centry :-)
>
> 	... and windows free since about Oct 98

I use BT - not very original, but with two computers in the house, I needed an
ADSL Modem/Router which is NOT a freebie from anyone as far as I know.
Drivers were not needed since Linux supports Ethernet! Setting up was easy
and I can switch on a wireless network if visitors come. The Router is set up
via a web page on 192.168.2.1. Normally we just use the cable connections.

I recommend the use of Modem/ Router and Ethernet since it keeps everything
simple. USB can be trouble for non experts like me!

The Virgin offers seem good value at present and there are many others.

Good luck with your choice. Others in GLUG have been very helpful.

John Kilgour