[Gloucs] Re: what broadband providers do people use

rob at cmsnet.org.uk rob at cmsnet.org.uk
Sun Jun 25 21:39:13 BST 2006

Quoting Graham Nye <glug at thenyes.org.uk>:

> I also have a Linksys WRT54 router. Note that if
> you want to load replacement firmware you need to
> be careful which model you buy. See Wikipedia
> for details:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G
>
> (Basically, you need to get either an old
> model or a WRT54GL.)

Yes, it seems that the WRT54G up to and including version 4 is
included: http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Linksys/WRT54G

I have a version 2 model. I used a bug in the linksys firmware in
order to install OpenWRT, as described here:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Installing?action=recall&rev=171#head-76921c79e7c7ed3b03d3bc9a40b1a2c792c215b0

For some reason this information has since been removed from the wiki,
but if you find an old WRT54G with its original firmware, this method
should still work.

Rob