[Gloucs] Remote Desktop over the web with two Linux Computers

Glyn Davies glynd at walmore.com
Sat Sep 23 11:34:00 BST 2006

Christian Trapp wrote:

Christian,

I don't know the tools you are using but this may be another way around
your problem.

Firstly, I'd be a little wary of opening ports to a VNC service. I think
SSH would be better. They spend a lot of time worrying over security in
SSH but perhaps less so in VNC. Get your friend to create an account for
you on his machine. Call it christian15 or something that isn't a normal
name. An open open SSH port will have people trying to log in on it.
Best not let them guess the valid login. The SSH server can also be
setup to only allow christian15 to log in. Do this. It means all those
hackers trying to log in as root are wasting their time. Your friend
then only needs to open port 22 on his firwall and distro. On his
firewall he will have to forward port 22 to his machine. (I have assumed
he as an external router/firewall)

To find his machine on the internet use a service such as dyndns
(www.dyndns.org) and get him to run one of the many dyndns clients that
are out there. I use ddclient which gets around publishing the local IP
(192.168.x.x) instead of the real Internet one.

You then and log in by

ssh -X -o "Compression yes" mymate.dyndns.org

-X enables X forwarding. Compression helps speed things up. Obviously,
swap mymate for the name he has chosen for his machine on dyndns.

You can then run the client you are running now on his machine. He can
then invite you by sending the invite to his own machine. You will get
the VNC session back tunnelled over SSH.

Anyway, I hope this gives you another way to consider. Certainly what
you have described before should work (once you get things right) so I
wouldn't give up on it just yet.

Does his firwall logs show that he is blocking you at all?

Actually, reading what you have said above again, are you sure the KDE
remote desktop stuff uses VNC? Does it use VNC over SSH?

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies