[Gloucs] hello

Steve Greig steve at stevespages.org.uk
Fri Sep 29 13:11:09 BST 2006

It is good to see more offers of help (Max and Simon) for a Linux
install event. It looks like Christian is thinking of a full day. That
is probably more realistic than 3 hours. I agree that identifying the
right end users and recruiting them is essential.

Simon's observations do ring very true but I think it is reasonable to
assume that there are enough people out there who would consider using
Linux (perhaps dual booted with Windows) for us to be able to get a good
audience.

I think it is also a good idea to demonstrate something along the lines
that Max suggested to impress on people how powerful and sophisticated
Linux is although I think the main emphasis of the event should be to
achieve everyday computing requirements on Linux such as those Christian
suggested.

I notice Linux Format has a Mepis and Ubuntu 'made easy' pack in the
shops at the moment and wondered if we might use these. I rang Linux
Format to see if they might be interested in helping or sponsoring the
event. The key person, Paul Hudson, is back on Monday so I will try
again then. It might be good to have any ideas about what we should ask
for from you before I talk to him. I did talk to someone there who said
they would be happy to advertise our install event in Linux Format which
might be useful. We need to discuss that to ensure it is done in a way
that attracts the right people for the event.

I would be keen to meet up to talk to others involved in the event. An
evening towards the end of next week or beginning of the week after
would be fine for me.

Best wishes from Steve