Migrating to Ubuntu whilst not rebooting # was Re: [Gloucs] Migrating to Ubuntu whilst retaining old files/drives

Simon Lewis simonlewis at bluebottle.com
Fri Feb 16 00:04:18 GMT 2007

Hey Andrew,

I think you should use the following "real man" approach:

1) back up ypur files if you are feeling scared...
2) boot from a ubuntu live cd
3) copy all your important data and config files to somewhere safe
4) delete all your files on the software raid drives that are part of
red hat install.
5) debootstrap ubuntu onto your drives.
6) install grub
7) set up grub to use your software raid drives
8) copy your config files, chroot and set up crontab etc
9) Reboot into your new OS with all your files still there.
10) Tell me at the GLUG meeting how you got on.

;)