[Gloucs] Nvidia Driver and Debian 4.0

Richard Dawe rich at phekda.gotadsl.co.uk
Wed Jul 18 09:43:43 BST 2007

Morning,

Christian Trapp wrote:
> I installed the new Debian 4.0 and after some try and errors I managed
> to activate the KDE-Desktop. So I have a pleasant running Debian. For
> the next step I need your help. As I like to us 3D of my old Geforce2
> Ti which is not supported by automatic installers like Automatix2 as
> Nvidia stopped the support for it, I downloaded the for my older card
> working driver coming with an install script and run it. The script
> has to compilee a module for the Debian 4.0 kernel. And after
> complaining about some missing packets for compiling which I
> installed, I run in the problem, that the module could not be compiled.
>
> Perhaps, you can help me out here when I enclose the error.log below.
> Thank you very much in advance.
[snip]
> -> Building kernel module:
>    executing: 'cd ./usr/src/nv; make module
> SYSSRC=/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-486/bu
>    ild SYSOUT=/lib/modules/2.6.18-4-486/build'...
[snip]
> /tmp/selfgz9061/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1/usr/src/nv/os-interface.c:
> In
>    function â??os_set_mlock_capabilityâ??:
>
> /tmp/selfgz9061/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1/usr/src/nv/os-interface.c:126
>    2: error: â??struct task_structâ?? has no member named â??rlimâ??
>    make[3]: ***
> [/tmp/selfgz9061/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1/usr/src/nv/os-i
>    nterface.o] Fehler 1
>    make[2]: ***
> [_module_/tmp/selfgz9061/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1/usr/src
>    /nv] Fehler 2
>    NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
>    nvidia.ko failed to build!
>    make[1]: *** [module] Fehler 1
>    make: *** [module] Fehler 2
> -> Error.
> ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.
> ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file
>        '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find
> suggestions
>        on fixing installation problems in the README available on the
> Linux
>        driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

It looks to me like this version of the Nvidia driver does not work with
Linux kernel 2.6.18.

Have you tried searching the Nvidia Linux forum at
<http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14>? I have
found that helpful. People sometimes post patches, to get the drivers
working with new Fedora kernels.

There's also a new version of the legacy driver -- see
<http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=8b6f591a2eecf87565804d0bfd711bc8&t=90079>.

Bye, Rich =]

--
Richard Dawe [ http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~phekda/richdawe/ ]

"You just amass stuff while you are alive. It's like stuff washed up
 on a beach somewhere, and that somewhere is you." -- Damien Hirst