[Gloucs] Automount CD/DVDs, but not iPod?

Nick gloslug at njw.me.uk
Wed Oct 31 16:42:46 GMT 2007

In my haste I forgot to address the other half of your problem.

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 01:02:20PM +0000, Andrew Oakley wrote:
> > Also the method above prevents my USB card reader from auto-mounting memory
> > cards; I still want these auto-mounted, just not the iPod.

Again this is based on the assumption that your system uses Ivman
for automounting.

Keep the global Gnome settings to automount usb things on insertion,
but use the IvmConfigActions.xml file mentioned earlier to "opt out"
the iPod from automounting.

Add the clause <ivm:Option name="mount" value="false" />
to the afformentioned IPOD ivm:Match block, so it now looks more
like:

<ivm:Match name="hal.info.product" value="IPOD">
	<ivm:Option name="mount" value="false" />
	<ivm:Option name="exec" value="eject '$hal.block.device$'" />
</ivm:Match>

If you find Ubuntu likes user-level ivman configs (~/.ivman), you
may also have to add that line to the global config file as well
(in /etc/ivman), to ensure it doesn't take over.

> Note that I don't have an iPod, but I think the eject command does
> what you want. Alternatively, depending on how the driver works, you
> may have to echo something to somewhere in /sys, or use a helper
> application (for my rio karma there's a nice one called
> karma_helper).

Thinking about it, the eject command might not be best, as it may
(not sure; haven't used an iPod) remove the device nodes, or at
least remove any trace of the iPod from Gnome. Perhaps look more
into a helper script...

Why wouldn't you be able to just yank it out if it wasn't mounted
anyway? Perhaps it's lying to you when it advises against it?

Good luck,

Nick

--
GPG Key : www.njw.me.uk/nick.gpg.asc     GPG Key ID: 04E4653F
  GPG Fingerprint: 9732 D7C7 A441 D79E FDF0 94F6 1F48 5674 04E4 653F