[Gloucs] Important Fedora Announcement

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 19:57:55 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 09:56:59AM +0100, Matthew Booth wrote:
> Looks like Fedora Infrastructure may be having some 'interesting'
> problems. Be wary:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-August/msg00008.html

See http://www.lwn.net for further background. Worse than the Debian
server compromise a few years ago, possibly, because security critical
OpenSSH packages may have been actively compromised on the for pay Red
Hat Enterprise in addition to the Fedora server problems? Debian's
incident response to the OpenSSL debacle (fixes, disabling of accounts
with possibly vulnerable keys and full public disclosure with
vulnerability detection utilities) was probably better handled. Any
which way, this is bad news for a Linux distribution. The request to
change my Fedora account came on August 19th for info.

My earlier comments were slightly tongue in cheek - made as they were on
the day the very day Debian turned 15 :)

AndyC