[Gloucs] Questions to Windows License

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Sat Feb 2 16:05:31 GMT 2008

Hi Christian,

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 09:10:41AM +0000, Christian Trapp wrote:
> Well, the case seems pretty clear so far. But terms and conditions are
> not the law itself. So was it at least in Germany where MS lost a case
> where a customer wanted to sell his OEM Windows which was not allowed
> under MS terms and conditions. But it was found unlegal in a court
> case that the customer as the owner of the OEM Windows could not be
> restricted to sell his property for which he had paid.

My understanding is that Microsoft say it is a breach of the license
and illegal, but it's never been held up in court.

In reality I think if you can obtain some media and pass along your
valid license key then there will be no issues.

Of course MS could in future find some way to invalidate the license
keys of people who have trnasferred ownership, but this seems
unlikely.

> How is the situation in the UK? What can I do with the property of a
> Vista and a XP. As I have no Original DVDs as it came preinstalled.
> Can I request original DVDs from MS or the company which sold the PCs?

They are probably within their rights to either refuse or charge for
this.  Usually when you buy a laptop without media the first thing it
asks you is to make rescue discs.

If your laptop didn't come with discs, doesn't have Windows on there
now, but you want to sell it with Windows on then I would suggest
obtaining some Windows media and installing it with your key.

Or you could sell it with Linux on.  Works for Asus Eee PC!

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB