[Gloucs] Logging into unencrypted wireless LAN

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Sun Feb 17 20:52:52 GMT 2008

Christian Trapp wrote:
> Hello All, I have here when I start my notebook a wireless LAN
> connection established which my notebook is establishing as it is not
> WEP/WAP encrypted. How is the law in the UK, do I something wrong here
> when I am using it?

The law in England and Wales is quite clear and has been tested several
times. The pertinent law is the "Computer Misuse Act 1990" and the
relevant part is "Unauthorised Access".

In order for "Unauthorised Access" to take place, there must be either
some form of authorisation which the criminal must deliberately
circumvent, or there must be a clear notice telling users who is or is
not authorised which the criminal must deliberately ignore.

With an open WiFi network there is no authorisation and therefore it is
impossible to be convicted for "Unauthorised Access". This has gone
through the courts again and again, and at no point has anyone charged
with "unauthorised access" of a system which has no authorisation EVER
been found guilty.

In August 2007, a policeman arrested a man who was viewing pornographic
material from a laptop in his car, via a stranger's open WiFi network.
Although initially incorrectly cautioned regarding the Computer Misuse
Act, which received widespread media coverage, he was not charged and
could never have been charged, since no authorisation was required to
use the network.

I run a deliberately unsecured public WiFi hotspot at home, for the
benefit of neighbours and passers-by.

http://www.nam-vets.org/frampton/

> Is it the responsibility of the wireless LAN owner to lock
> others out

Yes.

Note that the United Kingdom is a federation of four kingdoms, provinces
and principalities; laws may be different in Northern Ireland or Scotland.

--
Andrew Oakley