[Gloucs] Dell Inspiron 15xx series laptops

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Tue Jan 15 09:47:26 GMT 2008

paul cooke wrote:
> On Sunday 13 January 2008 03:29, Sean Keeney wrote:
> "This means your video card has been blacklisted due to driver issues. This
> applies to some Radeon Mobility cards, Radeon rv350 and rv450 cards, and the
> Intel 965 (X3000, X3100)."
> looks like you won't have any fancy compiz...

Alledgedly fixed in Ubuntu 8 Hardy Heron, currently in alpha and due for
full release in April:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/173471

Under Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy and previous, this can be worked around by
adding SKIP CHECKS=YES to the config:

Compiz then works fine, but hardware accelerated video (the default)
does not. You can switch to software rendered video, which is fine for
most windowed video at 1:1 ratio, but is sluggish for zoomed or
full-screen video. I've got this on my desktop machine at work (Gutsy
with Compiz and blacklisted Intel 965 graphics card) and it is
absolutely fine provided I don't want zoomed or full-screen video.

http://aoakley.com/misc/compiz-gutsy-intel965.jpg

My plan is to dual-boot MS Vista with Ubuntu 8 Hardy Heron alpha
release, and then upgrade this to the full release when it happens.

I'll let you know whether this actually works... ;-)

--
Andrew Oakley