[Gloucs] Details From The Talk On Monotone And Glade/Perl/Gtk2 GUIs

Anthony Edward Cooper aecooper at coosoft.plus.com
Wed Jan 16 09:14:49 GMT 2008

    Hi all,

    Here are the details that I promised to post...

    Monotone:
       http://monotone.ca/
       http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/
       http://oandrieu.nerim.net/monotone-viz/

    Perl/Gtk2 Resources:
       http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/doc/      - A very good starting
place
       http://gtk2-perl.sourceforge.net/doc/gtk2-perl-tut/      - The
reference manual

http://forgeftp.novell.com//gtk2-perl-study/documentation/html/index.html
   - Gives practical demonstrations of how to use some of the more
complex widgets.
       http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/perl/index.htm      - Online ripped
off copy (I assume so anyway!) of the O'Reilly CD book set on using
Perl. Not the most up to date version but a lot better than nothing! :-)
       http://www.cpan.org/      - Massive online library resource
(Comprehensive Perl Archive Network). Don't develop something without
checking here first...
       http://www.perlmonks.org/      - Brains trust experts site. They
are a helpful bunch:-)

http://live.gnome.org/GTK2-Perl/Recipes?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=perl&titlesearch=Titles
   - Some more Gnome documentation on Gtk2-Perl bindings and libraries.

    To get Gtk2 Perl working on a RedHat system I needed the following
CPAN packages:

ExtUtils-Depends-0.205.tar.gz
ExtUtils-PkgConfig-1.07.tar.gz
Glib-1.144.tar.gz
Gnome2-1.042.tar.gz
Gnome2-Canvas-1.002.tar.gz
Gnome2-Print-1.000.tar.gz - I needed this to satisfy
Gtk2-SourceView-1.000.tar.gz but you may want it for other reasons.
Gnome2-VFS-1.080.tar.gz
Gtk2-1.146.tar.gz
Gtk2-GladeXML-1.006.tar.gz
Gtk2-SourceView-1.000.tar.gz - Provides the syntax highlighting TextView
widget (non-standard extra).
PadWalker-1.5.tar.gz - I believe I needed this to satisfy a dependency,
which one I can't remember!

    There is a meta-package that installs all of the Perl-Gtk2 modules
for you, but I took the `bare minimum' approach. The dependency checking
will tell you when you are missing something.

    Hope this helps,

    Tony Cooper.