[Gloucs] Lock keyboard/mouse in Gnome without locking screen?

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Thu Jun 26 17:20:24 BST 2008

Maximillian Murphy wrote:
> Andrew Oakley <andrew at aoakley.com> wrote:
>> How do I lock the keyboard and mouse without locking the screen?
> Run a text editor & put the cursor in the text editor.  That will
 > catch the keyboard.
>
> If you want to catch the mouse as well, run a copy of vmware or
 > virtualbox & let that capture the mouse.

Thanks - nice "outside the box" solution, but this looks neater:

"Lock Keyboard For Baby"
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=184401&package_id=214498

Locks the keyboard until a passphrase is entered.

I've written a patch for this which adds a --withmouse option, that
locks the mouse buttons too (but not the movement, as I considered that
if the pointer movement froze, people might assume the machine was b0rken).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=841442&p=5266711

I've emailed the author via SF.net so hopefully he'll adopt my patch.

--
Andrew Oakley