[Gloucs] Debian Dependency Hell

Barbie barbie at missbarbell.co.uk
Tue May 20 12:58:54 BST 2008

In older variants of Debian the dependencies quite often got screwed. I
haven't seen it happen for awhile until today. A dist-upgrade has
removed apache and a whole bunch of other stuff, and then claimed to
have done an upgrade, but no apache was reinstalled.

I did have apache-perl installed, but neither that or apache2 to will
now install due to dependencies that can never be satisfied. The former
insists it require libperl5.8, however perl 5.10 is now installed.

Anyone any ideas of how to rollback a dist-upgrade?

Or perhaps even better, know how to force install an older package, as
--force-yes doesn't appear to work?

It appears the testing branch was added to sources.list and as such the
current build claims to be lenny/sid, which would seem reasonable for
the testing release. However, its left the whole thing in a complete
mess. If anyone knows of a howto online, for me to follow and clean it
all up again, I'd be most grateful :)

Cheers,
Barbie.
--