[Gloucs] Hot from SC08

Gerdjan Busker busker at busker.org
Wed Nov 19 01:05:04 UTC 2008

Hi all,

A random update from SuperComputing 2008 in Austin, TX for those who are
interested.

So far most switch manufacturers seem to have got the message that 10G
Ethernet is important and many more vendors show reasonably inexpensive
1U switches for 10GE.

InfiniBand at 40Gb/s (QDR) speeds is pushed everywhere, also as a
technology to connect your Raid controllers (e.g. by
DataDirectNetworks).  I guess 40Gb/s is a lot nicer and cheaper than
8Gb/s fibre and a redundant infiniband network is a lot cheaper than a SAN.

What I didn't expect is that a lot of the storage manufacturers are now
supporting only SAS disks, but then also offer a large/slow 7.2KRPM disk
with a SAS interface.  I guess this must be SATA hardware with SAS
electronics.

The new SuperComputer top500 was released yesterday.  (we've got 5
machines in it, 3 of which in he UK :)

When I got into the taxi at the aiport, the driver apologised for the
"lefties and students" that put Obama in the White House! (Texas is
_very_ republican).

If anyone wants to know anything from any of the large manufacturers,
send your question, I'm happy to ask :)

Incidentally, both Intel and AMD are very quiet about their next CPUs',
Nehalem & Shanghai.  I hope this doesn't mean a repeat of the Barcelona
saga earlier this year.

Right, time for the IBM party!

Gerd.