[Gloucs] Hardware Qs

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 1 07:03:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 05:00:11PM +0100, Glyn Davies wrote:
> Sorry guys, not very Linux this but I know there's some expertise out there.
>
> Looking to buy  Dell laptop for my parents. I'm given the choice of 2x
> 1GB dual channel or 1X 2GB single channel memory. The cost is the same.
> Which should I choose? Am I right in thinking that dual channel is just
> paired memory modules so if I buy the 1x 2GB modules, I can always buy a
> second at a later date an run them dual channel?

That sounds about right. Either buy the extra memory from Dell at the
outset or bin the original stick and replace both sticks with Crucial
RAM later - it'll still be cheaper :)

If it's 32 bit Windows Vista on there - why are you bothering - it'll
STILL run like a dog till it has 4GB and the chipset will probably only
support 3GB.

> Also, am I right in thinking Dell lock you in to buying there inkjet
> carts for their printers and I would be better of going elsewhere for an
> Epson?

Dell's printers are rebadged Lexmarks (I think) but have their own
proprietary cartridge. (As do Epson / HP - I know HP have electronics on
the cartridge which make it more difficult to refill recycle them).

Essentially, when the ink goes in your printer you might as well throw
it away. I've an £80 printer and the cartridges are £30 each or so for
black and more for colour.

Laser printer? - Brother / Samsung both do nice ones cheaply and the
cost per page is lower.