[Gloucs] Gloucester LUG meeting on Tuesday 21st Oct

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 18:32:30 UTC 2008

I was asked by Matt Booth if I was available to talk to GlosLUG about
virtualization topics next Tuesday, and I'm happy to say I can do
this, if members are interested.  Some possible topics are below.

There are some further questions I have about travelling to and
staying in Gloucester, but I'll get around to those if people want me
to talk.

Please CC me in on any replies because I'm not subscribed to this
list.

Rich.

Topics:

1. libvirt (http://libvirt.org/), the virtualization API

2. virtualization & small-scale management tools such as:
     virt-install
     virt-manager
     virt-top
     virt-df
     virt-ps
     virt-clone
     virt-viewer and more

3. oVirt (http://ovirt.org), the scalable graphical management console

4. the future of virtualization in Fedora

5. Xen vs KVM and the Red Hat Qumranet acquisition

6. performance tips for virtualization

7. deeper technical stuff - eg. how paravirtualization is different
   from full virtualization, how virtio drivers work, containers
   versus full system virt, etc.

(It's not an either/or - I can combine any of these that people are
interested in)

Non-virt topics:

8. OCaml in Fedora (http://cocan.org/fedora) - Modern, high-performance
   functional language.

9. MinGW in Fedora (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW) - Use cross-
   compilation to generate full Windows binaries and installers
   without ever needing to touch a Windows machine.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top