[Gloucs] Topic for next meeting? "Cool hacky scripts"

Andrew Oakley andrew at aoakley.com
Wed Oct 15 22:37:25 UTC 2008

Paul Broadhead wrote:
>> "Cool hacky scripts"
> Would a gnome panel applet, written in python count? I didn't realise
> how easy these were to write. 5-10 minute should give people enough
> information have a go themselves.

Definitely yes.

We usually have technical talks about subjects which take an hour or
more to describe. It would be nice to have a whole bunch of quick-fire
talks on what I consider to be Linux's most important feature; that
anyone can knock up a useful program in 5-10 mins.

> Also a brief intro zenity might match up nicely as it allows you to
> integrate nice GUIs into you shell scripts.

Which reminds me of another hacky-script wot I also wrote, which pipes
xclip to aspell to zenity. Add a launcher to the Gnome panel, it tells
you whether there's any spelling mistakes in your clipboard text.
Instant spellcheck anywhere!

--
Andrew Oakley