[Gloucs] Spam to unique email address

Nick gloslug at njw.me.uk
Wed Sep 17 22:37:34 UTC 2008

Quoth the Paul Broadhead:
> Very
> occasionally, I do get spam sent to such email addresses.  One such
> case happened last week so I contacted the service support and asked if
> they could explain.  I have had a very reasonable exchange with the
> these support folks who appear to be taking the situation very
> seriously.  They assure me they have not lost or given my address to
> anyone else and that their servers are not compromised. Assuming
> things are OK my end too, the question is.  How can this be explained?

The address I was using on a freecycle list got added to certain
spammers lists a while ago. The admins there (who aren't necessarily
very technical - they just administer yahoo groups lists) thought
that someone subscribed to the list just gave all of the email
addresses which passed through them on to spammers. Nice thing about
such a <name of service>@domain system though is the redundancy - I
just drop any email to that address now, and thus receive no spam
again.

Nick

--
GPG Key : www.njw.me.uk/nick.gpg.asc     GPG Key ID: 04E4653F
  GPG Fingerprint: 9732 D7C7 A441 D79E FDF0 94F6 1F48 5674 04E4 653F